Scott Nicholson has moved away from Bibliomining as a primary research focus. He is now focused on Gaming in Libraries, but will be using tools and concepts from bibliomining in this research.
More about the Library Game Lab of Syracuse and Scott's research there can be found at http://gamelab.syr.edu.
What follows is the out-of-date bibliography that lived on this site. While it won't help you with newer works on the topic, this will help you locate classic works.
Outdated Bibliomining Bibliography
- Nicholson, S. (2006). Preprint of The Basis for Bibliomining: Frameworks for Bringing Together Usage-Based Data Mining and Bibliometrics through Data Warehousing in Digital Library Services. Information Processing and Management 42(3), 785-804 HTML PDF
- Nicholson, S. (2003) The Bibliomining Process: Data Warehousing and Data Mining for Library Decision-Making. Information Technology and Libraries 22 (4). 146-151.
- Nicholson, S. & Stanton, J. (2003). Gaining strategic advantage through bibliomining: Data mining for management decisions in corporate, special, digital, and traditional libraries. In Nemati, H. & Barko, C. (Eds.). Organizational data mining: Leveraging enterprise data resources for optimal performance. Hershey, PA: Idea Group Publishing. 247-262.
- Benoit, G. (2002). Data mining. In B. Cronin (Ed.), Annual Review of Information
Science and Technology 36, Medford, NJ: Information Today, 265-310.
- Guenther, K. (2000). Applying data mining principles to library data collection. Computers in Libraries, 20(4), 60-63.
- Wormell, I. (2000). Informetrics - a new area of quantitative students. Education for Information 18, 131-138. - Bibliomining is part of Infometrics.
- Banerjee, K. (1998). Is data mining right for your library? Computers in Libraries, 18(10), 28-31.
- Nutter, S. K. (1987). Online systems and the management of collections: Use and implications. Advances in Library Automation Networking, 1, 125-149.
Specific Bibliomining Applications
Management and Decision-Making
- Nicholson, S. (forthcoming). Preprint of Digital library archeology: A conceptual framework for understanding library use through artifact-based evaluation. The Library Quarterly. HTML PDF
- Kao, S. Chang, H., and Lin, C. (2003). Decision support for the academic library acquisition budget allocation via circulation database mining. Information Processing &Management 39(1), 133-148.
- Mancini, D. D. (1996). Mining your automated system for systemwide decision making. Library Administration & Management, 10(1), 11-15.
- Peters, T. (1996). Using transaction log analysis for library management information. Library Administration & Management 10(1), 20-25.
Collection Development / Acquistions
Reference and Reader's Advisory (Recommendations)
- Geyer-Schulz,A., Neumann, A., and Thede, A. (2003). An Architecture for Behavior-Based Library Recommender Systems .Information Technology and Libraries. (22),4. 165-174.
- Neumann, A., Geyer-Schulz,A.Hahsler, M., and Thede, A. (2003). An Integration Strategy for Distributed Recommender Services in Legacy Library Systems. In Martin Schader, Wolfgang Gaul, and Maurizio Vichi, editors, Between Data Science And Applied Data Analysis, Springer,
- Neumann, A., Geyer-Schulz,A.Hahsler, M., and Thede, A. (2003). Behavior-Based Recommender Systems as Value-Added Services for Scientific Libraries. In Hamparsum Bozdogan, editor, Statistical Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery, Chapmann & Hall / CRC, 2003.
- Neumann, A., Geyer-Schulz,A., and Thede, A. (2003). Others Also Use: A Robust Recommender System for Scientific Libraries. In Traugott Koch and Ingeborg Torvik Sølvberg, editors, Research and Advanced Technology for Digital Libraries, LNCS 2769, Springer, Berlin
Heidelberg New York.
- Chau, M. Y. (2000). Mediating off-site electronic reference services: Human-computer interactions between libraries and Web mining technology. Fourth international conference on knowledge-based intelligent engineering systems & allied technologies (Vol. 2, pp. 695-699). Piscataway, NJ: IEEE.
- Bollen, J., Beot-Arie, O., and Van de Sompel, H. (2005). The bX project: Federating and mining usage logs from linking servers. Project Briefing: Fall 2005 Task Force Meeting. Available online at http://www.cni.org/tfms/2005b.fall/abstracts/PB-bx-bollen.html
- Papatheodorou, C., Kapidakis, S. Sfakakis, M., and Vassiliou, A. (2003). Mining user communities in digital libraries, Information Technology and Libraries 22(4). 152-157.
- Suárez-Balseiro, C.A., Iribarren-Maestro, I., Casado, E. S. A Study of the Use of the Carlos III University of Madrid Library's Online Database Service in Scientific Endeavor. (2003). Information Technology and Libraries.(22), 4; p. 179-182.
- Suárez-Balseiro, C. & Sanz-Casado, E. (2001). Measuring database service use patterns as a tool for evaluating the academic networked environment: The case of the Carlos III university library. Performance Measurement and Metrics 2(3), 173-191. (If you are a subscriber to the online version of the journal, you can see the full text of the article)
- Sallis, P., Hill, L., Janee, G., Lovette, K., & Masi, C. (1999). A methodology for profiling users of large interactive systems incorporating neural network data mining techniques. Proceedings of the 1999 Information Resources Management Association International Conference(pp. 994-998). Hershey, PA: Idea Group Publishing.
- Schulman, S. (1998). Data mining: Life after report generators. Information Today 15(3), 52.
- Harter, S. P. & Hert, C. A. (1997). Evaluation of information retrieval systems: Approaches, issues, and methods. In M.E. Williams (Ed.), Annual review of information science and technology (Vol. 32, pp. 3-94). Medford, NJ: Information Today. - Covers literature that looks at online searching behavior.
- Chaudhry, A. S. (1993). Automation systems as tools of use studies and management information. IFLA Journal 19(4), 397-409.
- Bollen, J., Luce, R., Vemulapalli, S., and Xu, W. (2003). Usage analysis for the indentification of research trends in digital libraries. D-Lib Magazine 9(5). Available online at http://www.dlib.org/dlib/may03/bollen/05bollen.html.
- Pierrakos, D., Paliouras, G., Papatheodorou, C., and Spyropoulos, C. D. (2003). Web usage mining as a tool for personalization: A survey User Modeling and User-Adapted Interaction Journal 13(4), 311-372.
- Lawrence, S., Giles, C. L., & Bollacker, K. (1999). Digital libraries and autonomous citation indexing. IEEE Computer 32(6), 67-71.
- Garfield, E., Pudovkin, A.I.., Istomin, V. S. Mapping the output of topical searches in the Web of Knowledge and the case of Watson-Crick. (2003). Information Technology and Libraries (22),4.183-187.
- Wormell, I. (2003). Matching subject portals with the research environment. Information Technology and Libraries 22(4).158-166.
- Porter, A., Kongthon, A., and Lu, J.(2002). Research profiling: Improving the literature review. Scientometrics 53(3), 351-370. Retreived June 22, 2002 from ttp://tpac.gatech.edu/toa/respro.pdf. This group, the Technology Policy and Action Center, has a website at http://tpac.gatech.edu.
- Nicholson, S. (2003). Avoiding the great data-wipe of Ought-Three. American Libraries, 34(9), p. 36. HTML PDF
- Zucca, J. (2003). Traces in the Clickstream: Early Work on a Management Information Repository at the University of Pennsylvania
Information Technology and Libraries. (22), 4. 175-178.
- Su, S. & Needamangala, A. (2000). Harvesting information from a library data warehouse. Information Technology and Libraries, 19(1), 17-28.
- Bleyberg, M. Z., Zhu, D., Cole, K., Bates, D., Zhan, W. (1999). Developing an integrated library decision support warehouse. IEEE international conference on systems, man, and cybernetics (Vol. 2, pp. 546-551). Piscataway, NJ: IEEE.
- Alexander, G., Wilson, J, and Williams, J. (2005). Current Essays and Reports in Information Retrieval and Data Mining: An Annotated Bibliography of Shorter Monographs. Lanham, Md.: Scarecrow Press.
Privacy Issues (not intended to be complete - just a sampling of the issues)
- Pace, A. K. (2001). It's a matter of privacy. Computers in Libraries, 21(6), 50-52.
- Patron confidentiality, millennium style [Electronic version]. (1999, June/July). American Libraries, 30, 86.
- Seaman, S. (2001, October 27). Confidentiality of library records. Presentation at the Colorado Library Association Annual Meeting. Retrieved January 27, 2002 from http://spot.colorado.edu/~seaman/confidentialitylaws.htm
and information centers. London: Bowker-Saur.
- Sprain, M. (2001). Confidentiality in libraries. Colorado Libraries, 27(1), 36-38.
- Estabrook, L. (1996). Sacred trust or competitive opportunity: Using patron records. Library Journal, 121(2), 48-49.
This page last updated on 09-Jan-2006 by Scott Nicholson. Copyright 2002. All rights reserved.